Sunday, April 24, 2011

On My Book Shelf (Part 2)

I'm someone who strongly suggest you read the book before you watch the movie. However, if you've already watched the movie and you liked it, I would say read it anyways! Trust me, there is so much more to a book. I will admit I love watching the movies, but it's even better when you've read the book because you can't wait to see how they interpret it - and you feel a deeper connection to the story and the characters. It's totally worth the read!

This is my second "On My Book Shelf" post. You can view the previous one here.

Click read more to see what I have to say about these novels.


First off is The Choice by Nicolas Sparks. As you've probably noticed, I read a lot of books by Mr. Sparks. What can I say, I love romance! This book in particular may have been my favourite of his. There is quite a bit of light hearted content. The 2 main characters (Gabby and Travis) made it a fun, easy, feel good read ... that is until the classic tear-fest kicks in. If you cry while reading books, this will definitely be one of them. Enjoy!

Next is Identical by Ellen Hopkins. This book is written in a way where the words are scattered on the page (it appears in a poetic way). I originally thought it would be distracting but it honestly added more depth to the story. There were quite a few things to decode in the positioning of words which was really neat. The story follows identical twins as they face difficulties in their life and family (such as sexual abuse and drugs). There are tough subjects to read about and it can be really upsetting, however it is beautifully written and powerful. You will definitely be moved by this story.

Water For Elephants, by Sara Gruen, has to be my all time favourite book! It is not something I would normally read, but now I think I need to step out of my routine more often! The story is about a circus during the great depression (1930's). Jacob, the main character, lost everything when his parents die so he joins the circus. He then falls in love with the star of the show. Problem is, she is married to the equestrian director, August. August is a charming and charismatic man to begin with, but then his true self is revealed to Jacob as a vicious, evil man. Trust me, when you read this you will not want to put the book down! If you need more convincing watch the movie trailer, but do not watch the movie (until you've read the book). If you've seen the movie, I still urge you to read the book, you will not be disappointed!

The Notebook by Nicolas Sparks is a pop culture phenomenon! Well, at least the movie is. I have owned the movie for many years now and I adore it! However, for a english project I decided to read this novel - best homework ever! Even though I had seen the movie many times, the novel remained fresh. Sometimes I knew what would occur, sometimes I didn't - movies are never identical to the novels. Through reading The Notebook, I learned more about the characters and grew a better understanding of everything that happened. The story became so much richer, and made me appreciate it even more.

And finally there is The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Once again I had seen the movie before I read the novel. I saw this movie in the theatre twice (both times I bawled my eyes out, lol) before picking up the novel. I fell in love with the story and I heard good things about the book so I decided to give it a try. To be honest I found the book a little long and I didn't love it as much as I did with the movie, but it was enjoyable. The novel goes extremely in depth and includes a lot more events. Through reading the novel I was able to pick up on a few things that I didn't necessarily catch in the film. I'm still obsessed with the movie (and I still cry every time) and overall I'm glad I read the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment