Monday, December 1, 2014

A Semester of Films

This semester, I've gone to the theatre more than usual and by chance, I ended up seeing five completely different genres of film. Though I am no movie critic, nor does my opinion on the subject have strong swaying capabilities, I decided to write a little bit about each one to give you a general idea of what the movies were like and whether or not they are something you'd like to see. If you have seen any of these films and have a similar or differing opinion, please let me know in the comments!



(click 'Read More' to see to see the reviews/ratings)



The RomCom: The F Word (aka - What If)

I loved seeing Daniel Radcliffe take on this different role. The indie romantic comedy had notes of Notting Hill, one of my favourite movies. With smart humour, and a hilarious best friend sidekick played by Adam Driver, the movie captured my heart (it's a RomCom you gotta say something cheesy!) If you are a sucker for RomComs, or you fell back in love with Daniel after seeing him rap on Jimmy Fallon, check this one out.

Rating: 4/5 Stars


The Thriller: Gone Girl

I hadn't read the book before seeing this but I'm actually happy I didn't. My friends and I had no idea about the twists and turns coming in the movie. Throughout, we kept looking at each other to say "what the f*ck!?" I loved not knowing, it made every plot twist that much more impactful. A lot of people find this movie twisted, which it is, but it's also brilliant. I highly recommend this one. I only know one person who didn't like it, but you have to be open minded. Movies don't have to be sunshine and rainbows, they should make you think and take you on a ride, like this one did.

Rating: 5/5 Stars


The Adventure: Interstellar

I went into this film not knowing anything about the plot other than space and astronauts. It's not recommended that you go to the 10:30 showing like I did, as the movie is about 3 hours long. The movie started pretty slow, in an isolated farming town; at this point I doubted the excitement of the movie. It takes a while to get into it but once they go into space the movie kicked off. The graphics are amazing but the storyline is confusing (could be due to my lack of scientific knowledge). To sum up this movie, I'd say it's Inception in space. Another movie where I turned to my friend multiple times to say "what the f*uck!?"

Rating: 2.5/5 Stars 


The Comedy: Horrible Bosses 2

The first Horrible Bosses movie was so funny that I saw it more than once it theatres. Normally sequels fail to live up to the original (The Hangover anyone?) but this one had me laughing hysterically in the theatre yet again. Bateman, Sudeikis, and Day (Nick, Kurt, and Dale) are by far my favourite friend trio. They play off of each other so well. I doubt it will happen, but I'd love to see the three of them together again. Jennifer Aniston and Jamie Foxx are also back reprising their great roles.

Rating: 5/5 Stars


The Tearjerker: The Theory of Everything

I can't get over how brilliant the acting is in this movie. Eddie Redmayne obviously deserves an award for his dedication to the role of Stephen Hawking. He put everything into it; physically, mentally, and emotionally. Felicity Jones was also impeccable as Jane Hawking. Simple moments had me in awe. You could see the emotion in her eyes and her trembling hands as she tries to cope with their circumstance.

There were so many moments where I couldn't help but break out into tears, the sad moments and the happy moments. The story is inspiring and really makes you appreciate what you have. Things could be worse. Even with all the medical issues Stephen faced in his life, he stays strong and proves his capabilities regardless of the disabilities he endures. Seriously, go see this one. I will be devastated if the movie and the lead actors don't get Oscar nominations for this one.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment