Monday, September 15, 2014

On My Book Shelf (Part 4)


More book reviews! This is one of my favourite series to write, so this post has been sitting in my drafts folder for months waiting for some other content to fill up the blog. You'll notice that I like to try a few different styles of books... I bet you never thought you'd see The Book Thief and Are You There Vodka, It's Me, Chelsea side by side.


You can read the other"On My Book Shelf" posts here.

Click read more to see what I have to say about these novels.







The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty. I bought this book because of the idea of New York in the Twenties and the life of a starlet. It was a misconception. The story goes a lot deeper into the life of the chaperone. It takes on heavy topics such as birth control and homosexuality in the early 1900's. I honestly didn't want to put this book down; a wonderful read.


Next is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I found this book incredibly enticing. The Night Circus has the most imaginative concepts I've read since the world of Harry Potter. There is a great amount of mystery as well. Beautifully written. This book has it all; it's magic and mystery meets Water For Elephants. I urge you to check it out!


Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler, who you probably know from Chelsea Lately. Such a funny book. I've always been a fan of Chelsea's humour. Like on her show, she's not afraid to speak her mind no matter how raunchy. It's unfiltered fun. I read this on vacation; a great beach read.




The Help by Katharyn Stockett is one of my top three favourite books (alongside Harry Potter and Water For Elephants). It has been a while since I've read it so I can't specifically pinpoint the feelings I felt, but I can guarantee you will be moved. This book gave me so much insight on how society used to be, it's heartbreaking. You will love getting to know these characters. Unfortunately, the movie kind of hinders my view; I feel as though the book wasn't as 'feel-good' but still well worth it.


And finally, there is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This book took a longer for me to read and I'm kind of on the fence about it. It's extremely well written, and I was fascinated by the decision to make Death the narrator. But I suppose I just wasn't in the proper mind set at the time to take on this tale. I have read stories about the Holocaust (ex. Sarah's Key) and I find it extremely interesting hearing takes on history (the good and the bad) but I found this one a tad drawn out. It was a long, melancholic read. However, at the same time, it was eyeopening and thought provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment