Wednesday, February 26, 2014

On My Book Shelf (Part 3)

Since my last post I've read well over 40 books - in fact I can't really put a number to it. There are many that I'd love to share but I'll spilt them into groups of 5 for separate posts. I recently bought a few online and have been going through them like crazy on my commutes to work. This will likely be a common post for the blog; so if you love reading ...  good, I do too. Here are some from the past summer:


You can read the other "On My Book Shelf" posts here.

Click read more to see what I have to say about these novels.



Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding. Ever since seeing the movie, I fell in love with Bridget Jones. It only made sense that I had to read the book. From the first chapter, I was already giggling to myself. You can't help but relate to this flawed character. Her humour brings light to her pathetic life, so much so that it doesn't seem all that bad. Plus picturing Hugh Grant being cheeky made it all the more fun. I recommend this book, even if you've seen the movie.

Next is Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. I found this book on the Heather's Picks shelf (for those of you who don't shop at Indigo, it's like a "great read guarantee"). First and foremost, what drew me to the story was New York City; I'm a sucker for that place. Additionally, I was drawn to the historical take; set in 1939. With Gatsby running through my mind I couldn't wait to find another story like it. Little did I know how many similarities there would be (don't worry it's not a copy cat). If you also loved The Great Gatsby this book is for you.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling, who you probably know from The Office. As a huge fan of her new show The Mindy Project, I couldn't wait to pick up this book for a lighthearted, funny read. It's inspiring to see how Mindy made it into show business. Getting an inside look at Hollywood has always been intriguing to me; she makes it very informative, yet so fun to read. You'll finish this book wishing she was your best friend.

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, author of The Mortal Instruments. Not going to lie, I picked up this book because of the discounted price, Big Ben in the background, and the cute guy in a trench coat. I had no idea what I was getting into, but it sure did look intriguing. It turned out I picked up a keeper! I loved the blend of supernatural adventure, historic England, and young love. This is the prequel to The Mortal Instruments, and as someone who never read that series, I'm definitely interested now.

And finally, there is Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. This book is a great summer read. Not only does it take you around the world (Italy, the States, Scotland), it takes you through time, piecing together a story over the span of 50 years or so. I also loved getting insight on the film industry and the juicy gossip on the set of Cleopatra (regardless if it was made up). Though I wasn't blow away, it was quite an enjoyable book.

No comments:

Post a Comment