Tuesday, July 19, 2011

New York City - Week 3

Only one week left here in the 'Big Apple'. As much as I absolutely love it here, it's going to be nice to go back home. If only that trip back home was a week and then back to New York! Gosh, I love it here. In the collage below you can see images from my trips to SoHo, the Top of the Rock, Coney Island, and the Empire State Building. Credit for all of these goes to my friends on the trip (even the lovely city shots). Once again, if you would like to know about my week in New York, click the title of this post or click "read more" below the picture.



Monday, July 11, 2011

Today we went to SoHo, my favourite neighbourhood in New York! It’s a unique neighbourhood, with a classic feel. I love the unique boutiques, the cute cafes, and the cobble stone roads. Unfortunately we only had about 2 and a half hours to spend. That may seem like a lot of time, but not if you are in a group of four girls who like to try clothes on! In SoHo there are so many cute boutiques but we only had time for a couple stores. Topshop took up the majority of the time. I think the reason I like Topshop so much is because it began in England. Therefore, if I buy clothes from there I will feel British! Yes, that's how I think. I forget the names of the other stores we went to, but I didn’t buy anything. I only bought a few things at Topshop, including a hat! I love hats, and this one makes me feel British! Haha.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

You may have noticed, but the majority of my pictures are from this night. The Top of the Rock! Touristy, yes I know, but so much fun with friends! The view was amazing! Can you really blame us for taking so many pictures? At the top there is an outdoor area and 2 indoor areas. One is the store and one is epic. Epic? Yes, epic. THE DANCE ROOM (not legitimately called that). It’s a room of lights that follow you as you move. The walls and ceiling are covered in these motion detection lights. Everyone else just walked around testing the detection, not me. I started a dance party and yes, I had an audience. One wall was glass to view the floor below, where people were standing and sitting. You probably have guessed already but I danced for them too (and I got my friends to join in). At one point I was literally being filmed! Good times! Overall, it was an extremely fun night. To be honest, I think any night that involves dancing like a fool to be a blast and a half!

Friday, July 15, 2011

The night it all ends ... Harry Potter that is. Tonight we went to see the final movie of the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. It’s actually the first Harry Potter film I’ve ever seen in theaters. It was an amazing! I haven’t read the series, my brother did, but when I get home I’m reading each of the books! I loved the films growing up, so even though I haven’t read the books yet, it’s really sad for it to be over. You can bet I was bawling my eyes out during the film! Nearly everyone was crying. Me and my roommate bought cheap Harry Potter glasses to wear to show some spirit. When we bought them we walked around the city with them on! You can imagine how cool people in New York think I am. P.S. Neville Longbottom is my hero. :)

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Coney Island day, the day I needed to face my fears. As a child I was afraid of roller coasters and I always found that they hurt my stomach (a rib crushing feeling). I hadn’t been to an amusement park in a long time, so I hoped roller coasters would no longer be an issue, and guess what, they aren’t. I ended up riding all the rides that would originally scare me. The first ride I went on was the scariest roller coaster in the park! You lie down and it goes up side down and spins around at a super speed. I was holding on for dear life; I thought I was going to fall off! It was so much fun that I decided to ride each of the coasters, including the Cyclone. The Cyclone is an old wooden coaster (show in the collage), it doesn’t even look safe. It ended up being really creaky and painful. We were thrown around in our seats and walked off the ride sore. I’m still glad I did it though! The ride I went on that wasn’t a roller coaster was a swing thing called the Brooklyn Flyer. I wanted to ride it because it looked fun and relaxing, but it was extremely high up so I thought I could face my fear of heights at the same time! It ended up being a great day and I can’t wait to go to another amusement park; hopefully this summer!
That night was spent at the Empire State Building. I had a good time because I was with my friends, but as a message to potential New York tourists; it’s not worth it! You wait over an hour to get to the top, then you are surrounded by plenty of tourists taking pictures, you have limited space, and it takes nearly an hour to leave! Top of the Rock is 110% better (including the view)! I mean, you get to see the Empire State Building from the Rock. Essentially, TopOfTheRock>EmpireStateBuilding. Lol, just saying.

I’ll cover Sunday, July 17 to Saturday, July 23 in my next entry.
Sorry for the length of these entries! They are acting as my journal too, since I don’t have much spare time to reflect on each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment